Pro ball in Louisville?

A little birdie says the Women’s National Basketball Association might bring a team to Louisville, thanks to a new downtown arena slated to open in November 2010.

“I’ve talked to David Stern, commissioner of the NBA, and he’s planning on coming here in the next two or three months to look at Louisville for a possible WNBA team,” says Jim Host, chairman of the Arena Authority.
During a recent interview with LEO Weekly, Host said it’s unlikely an NBA team would consider relocating to Louisville because U of L will have scheduling priority at the new arena.
But, Host said: “I do think it’s very, very possible a WNBA team might come because they play in the summer,” presenting no major scheduling conflicts with the university.
It wouldn’t be the first of the arena guru’s predictions to come true — let’s hope he’s right once again. (SK)

1. Anonymous
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t want an NBA team here. Can’t stand them. But a WNBA team… that could be a lot of fun. They don’t rape their fans (low fanbase it is) at the ticketbox.

2. Anonymous
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Aren’t about half the WNBA teams in bankruptcy?

3. Anonymous
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

The WNBA is a disgrace to organized sports. I consider this to be an insult to my dear city.

4. Anonymous
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

The muff munchers will love a WNBA team

5. Anonymous
    Posted October 2, 2008 at 2:44 am | Permalink

Let’s get the ball rolling with suggestions for team names:

1) The Metro Louisville Carpet Cleaners

2) The River City Bush Hogs

3) The Kentuckiana Thespians

6. Anonymous
    Posted October 2, 2008 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Calling them the Clusterfucks would be more appropriate. Or they could just be named after another city, since they wouldn’t be here long anyway.

7. Anonymous
    Posted October 2, 2008 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

You people are so bitter. And ignorant. And completely not funny. A disgrace to organized sports? You can’t even argue that point other than that they are women. Your life probably doesn’t matter much to anyone, does it?

Talk about an insult your city.

8. Anonymous
    Posted October 2, 2008 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

4:54 needs cookies and a nap. I know, the St.Louis Tuna Melts.

9. Anonymous
    Posted October 2, 2008 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Already had a nap, a cookie sounds nice, I have no idea what the St. Louis comment means, and you’re still not showing you aren’t an idiot.

Bring on the WNBA. I’d still buy a ticket. Maybe sell cookies.

10. Anonymous
    Posted October 3, 2008 at 9:15 am | Permalink

You’re right, 4:54, my life is empty and meaningless, while yours is poignant, like a bumper sticker. I am crushed, and will now go jump off a bridge. Farewell cruel world… (animatedly running away, like Pee Wee Herman). Just kidding. How about the Highlands Double Fisters?

11. Anonymous
    Posted October 3, 2008 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Man I miss Pee Wee and Teri and Chairy. Best kids show ever because Mom and Dad could laugh at the dual humor.

12. Anonymous
    Posted October 3, 2008 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Don’t forget Captain Carl (Phil Hartman) and Jambi. I remember the 1st one, “The Pee Wee Herman Show” on HBO, a little bit more adult, but nothing too racy (shoe mirrors).

How about the Fairdale Fur Burglars?

13. gdcarmichael