House passes historic health care bill

The year-long fight over health care reform took a historic step tonight. The divided House of Representatives approved what has been President Barack Obama’s chief domestic issue with a 219-212 vote. Here’s the roll call.

As political observers predicted only one member of Kentucky’s delegation supported the bill — U.S. Rep. John Yarmuth, D-3, who issued the following statement:

From Congressman John Yarmuth’s office:

“During my three years in Congress, there has been no single issue that I have heard more about from Louisvillians than health care. To this day, the enormous majority have told me they want change that will guarantee access to health care, rein in skyrocketing costs, and give them more choice and control in the marketplace. I came to Congress largely to accomplish these goals on their behalf … This is a vote I did not cast for my party or for politics, but because it is the right thing for our country and the right thing for Louisville. This is a promise I made to my constituents. It is the most important vote I have cast as a member of Congress, and it is the one about which I am most proud.”

However, it is expected that Republicans nationwide will run against the passage of the bill in the upcoming mid-term elections later this year. And among Yarmuth’s many potential GOP challengers, at least one has come out swinging against the historic vote. Unveiling his own plan for the country’s health care system earlier this month, third district Republican Congressional candidate Larry Hausman has issued his own statement on tonight’s health care vote.

From the Hausman campaign:

“I am very disappointed in the decision by Congress to pass this wasteful and ineffective health care package that brings the IRS closer to the people than their doctors. I will not only fight against this government expansion that is against the will of the people but will also continue to offer free market solutions to bring down the cost of medical care.”

1. Lane
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 7:51 am | Permalink

One would think with the economy wrecked, unemployment @ 10% and a major employer in this city being Humana, our congressman would try to work on a more reasonable solution. JOHN YARMUTH, THE MORON, thinks this bill doesn’t go far enough. He wanted a single payer gov. takeover, which this will become. If we are smart then we need to get rid of his ultraliberal a$$. He didn’t have the balls to schedule a town hall meeting where a person isn’t afraid of being killed trying to attend. WE NEED TO GET JOHN YARMUTU OUT!!!!!!!!!! He doesn’t have our interest at heart.

2. Phillip M. Bailey
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 10:05 am | Permalink

“(Yarmuth) didn’t have the balls to schedule a town hall meeting,”

Please check out LEO Weekly’s cover story that ran Sept. 16, 2009 entitled “I reserve the right to be angry,” which covered U.S. Rep. John Yarmuth’s town hall meeting at Central High School.

3. Kelly
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

John Yarmuth absolutely has our interest at heart. Each day, more and more Americans lose their health insurance coverage due to the greedy practices of Humana and other insurance companies.

No longer can these horrible corporations (and yes, Humana is a pretty horrible corporation) drop you once you get sick, reject you because of a a previous condition and generally make your life miserable.

My only real beef with this legislation, aside from the draconian restrictions on abortion, is that it doesn’t go far enough. Yarmuth is right, we do need a single payer insurance option like medicare. If people like Lane want to keep lining the pockets of Humana, let them, but don’t deny the rest of us a chance at the same quality health care the rest of the west enjoys.

And don’t give me this crap that we already have the best health care Lane. Every single study done shows that we lag far behind most of the developed world when it comes to quality care.

I suspect that just like 2008, Yarmuth will once again cruise to victory and people like Lane will once again have their heads explode over the whole thing. That is reason enough to vote for Yarmuth, just to watch Lane lose it.

4. Lame
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

phillip can you not see that I said some place people can go that was not in gangland. He is a pussy that goes and hides in the west end, where most people will receive more free shit.

kelly as for you, I’m sure you think everyone should just get what they need. That concept only breeds laziness and mediocrity which is what will bring our country down. Everyone needs to contribute and not be a lazy drag on society. Obviously your head is in the clouds if you think the gov. can do better than private cos can.

5. Phillip M. Bailey
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

I understand your point even if I think it’s wrapped in racist buzzwords.

Let me offer this up. Rep. Yarmuth can’t be a manicured liberal and at the same time someone who held a meeting in “gangland” to hide — can he? He’s afraid of the Tea Party, but not the Bad News Gang?

If he held the meeting at a private golf course I might agree with you.

I attended the town hall and it was a lot of non-west Louisville residents who packed Central High School’s auditorium. Many people booed and challenged the congressman’s position. You’re just plain wrong about that.

And as a lifelong west Louisville resident (never lived below 40th Street baby! — does that make me a certified gang member?) the most unoriginal throwaway line is to make a remark about neighborhoods west of 9th Street being gangland. It’s 2010, man. Let’s step up our stereotypes.

6. Kelly
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Lane, when it comes to health care, yes, government can do it better than private companies. Do you honestly like having the insurance companies stick it to you each year as they raise their rates by 20 or 30 percent? Does that feel good?

Do you like it when they drop people because they get sick? Might be good for business but not good for people.

Do you like it when they deny someone coverage because of a pre-existing condition? How is that a good thing?

If you were to go to Canada or Norway or Sweden or France and ask the people if they would rather have private insurance, they would laugh at you. Why? Because they already have GREAT govt. supplied health care, health care that is far better than ours.

Our health care system in this country sucks and is near the bottom when it comes to western nations. Do you not understand this? We are a joke on the global stage and it is all because of greedy insurance companies like Humana.

Finally, grow a pair Lane when it comes to going to Central High School. Could you be anymore racist?

7. Lane
    Posted March 27, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Stop w/ the racial bullshit central high is 2 blocks from a very rough housing project. I’m sure john had plenty of protection around. He should be scared of facing tea party people because he has no good excuse for his voting record. You know he does represent more than just one area you know.

I do think we need reform of healthcare COST. I can show you people that say the exact opposite in other countries, so spare me that other country crap.
    The gov. is doing a great job of bankrupting our country w/ medicare, is that how much better gov. does things.

By the way have you noticed all the companies taking losses now, great for job growth.

as for growing balls I’m female so GoFuckYourselfAsshole,