FOX 41 President endorses King

Traditionally it’s been noteworthy when newspapers make endorsements, but political observers might want to take note that Fox 41 President and General Manager Bill Lamb endorsed Democratic mayoral candidate and Metro Councilman Jim King, D-10, in a recently televised editorial.

Check it out:

With the May 18 primary a few days away, it’s debatable if Lamb’s support for the former council president will matter, but it could balance out The Courier-Journal’s endorsement of Democrat Greg Fischer in the public’s eye. Given the debate over The C-J’s nod to Fischer the value of these endorsements from media outlets has been an interesting discussion in the campaign’s final days. Recently, LEO Weekly’s editor explained the reasoning for the paper’s non-endorsement, which certainly created a stirred a debate of its own.

1. Ed Springston
    Posted May 15, 2010 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Big surprise since Bill Lamb is personal friends with Jim King. It would be one thing to do endorsements for every race like the CJ, and I cant believe I am giving them credit on this, but to do a single endorsement to aid a friend in trouble in an election is a travesty of abuse by his station.

Sadly, this Bill Lamb is one reason why FOX fails the test for local news.

I long for the old Bill Lamb POV’s when he was not carrying water. Credibility is everything and Lamb just screwed FOX credibility in many opinions.

Oh and by the way Bill check out the PCAOB report on King from 2009. He failed the accounting tests standards as well.

I’m Ed Springston and that’s my Point of View.

Posted May 15, 2010 at 9:20 am | Permalink

For those who can look beyond King’s misdeeds and some individuals’ vendettas…

As much as I like to rag on Lamb, I think his endorsement is significant. It won’t be enough to secure a win for King, but it will probably make him a close second.

I think Fox41 appeals to all the centrist/conservative Democrats, especially outside the Urban Services District, and I do I think it will help King’s numbers. I also suspect Fox41 will replay this endorsement multiple times on-air.

Fischer, regretfully, still will win though. But it’s only the primary.

Any strong (and I mean STRONG) independents willing to consider the race this year?

3. Ed Springston
    Posted May 16, 2010 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Steve your argument does not stand up. IF FOX41 were doing endorsements for races that is a good thing. The more the merrier and it would add credibility.

The fact that Lamb once again has chosen to interject on behalf of his friend is the problem for this race whether it is Jim King or not.

Integrity and impartiality are what lacks here and that is the problem. Continue the spin and accusations at will but fact are facts and this particular POV fails the smell test.

I have agreed with Lamb on many occasions and will in the future I am sure but don’t jeopardize the credibility of the news.

We have enough problems with that now.

4. stu noland
    Posted May 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Draft David Jones!

5. Gus
    Posted May 16, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Once again Ed Springston is right and Steve Magruder is wrong. Like a broken record on the blogs

Posted May 17, 2010 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Gus, care to explain what makes Ed right and myself wrong? (Also, care to ever leave high school?)

7. Gus
    Posted May 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Thin skinned much Steve? You once again miss the major point that Ed conveyed. This endorsement isn’t that significant because:

1) Fox and Lamb don’t do this on a consistent basis. This is clearly one friend helping the other who is in a desperate situation
    2) The fact that Lamb and King are friends is well known to many in the community and the perception of bias very clear with this endorsement
    3) Do you really think an endorsement from Fox News will carry much weight in a Democratic primary – no it won’t.

Carry on though with your Fischer obsession and personal attacks

Posted May 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Gus, all you did was regurgitate Ed’s points.

Why do _you_ believe I’m wrong and Ed is right?

Anyway, I’ll answer your points:

1) That’s exactly why people will pay attention. If something is done rarely, people pay more attention when you do it. Obvious.

2) Whether King and Lamb are friends might be weighted by some, but then, Lamb made a series of weighty points as to why King should be the voters’ choice. If it was all about friendship and back-patting, Lamb’s endorsement likely wouldn’t have had as much meat to it.

3) Yes, I do believe it will carry weight with moderate and centrist Democrats as I already stated. Democrats in the county are generally not liberal. I guess you just read Ed’s material and not mine.