Yarmuth and Lally in tight race

The latest SurveyUSA poll shows Democratic Congressman John Yarmuth with only a 2-point lead over Republican challenger Todd Lally, which is within the 4.3 percent margin of error.

From WHAS-11:

If the election was today in Kentucky’s Third Congressional District, the WHAS11/Courier-Journal Bluegrass Poll says it would be a photo finish.  Two term incumbent Democrat John Yarmuth is ahead by two points, but the relative unknown Republican Todd Lally appears to be riding an anti-incumbent, conservative wave.

Yarmuth (D)  47%
Lally (R)    45%
Undecided     5%

The poll of 541 likely voters is a statistical tie and isn’t the first time Lally, a lieutenant colonel in the Kentucky Air National Guard, has surprised political observers. In July, he managed to raise $289,000 compared to Yarmuth’s $204,000 in second quarter fundraising.

Still, the two-term congressman has more cash on hand to spend in the race with a hefty $600,000 in his coffers. And in an interview with WHAS-11, Yarmuth downplayed the poll and said the community doesn’t know Lally or the full breath of his views.

But the Lally campaign should be encouraged by the recent developments, as the GOP takes an unprecedented lead in national polls heading into the fall election. According to Gallup, Republicans have a 10 percentage point advantage over Democrats on generic ballots among registered voters.

“These results confirm what we have been hearing from voters all across the district. Louisvillians are attracted to my candidacy because I believe the best way to create jobs is through lower taxes and less wasteful government spending,” Lally said in a news release. “Voters are rejecting John Yarmuth because he has voted with Nancy Pelosi 99% of the time and he continues to support her agenda over what is best for Louisville. I look forward to continuing to get this message out to voters and will work hard for every vote between now and Election Day.”

The poll shows Libertarian Ed Martin and independent Michael Hansen polling with one percent each.

1. tas1978
    Posted September 3, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

at least one local blogger says the susa poll is bs – uses the wrong numbers. here is the blog – ohioriver606.blogspot.com – decide for yourself.

2. Sorry
    Posted September 3, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

I’ll never vote for Yarmuth again. If his work as a Congressman hasn’t shown you why, then dig up the records of Yarmuth grinning like a loon sitting next to Michelle Obama as the First Lady reads to children. That says it all: What do you get a man with a million dollars? Give him political power and the ability to have photo ops with the most powerful people in the world. He’s a bored millionaire looking to feed his narcissism.

Posted September 5, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Sorry is just offering up tired partisan pablum. Yarmuth couldn’t be more opposite of Sorry Sorry’s description.

4. Catalogos Panama
    Posted September 24, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

You can consider me in for a Digg. Thanks for posting this on your blog!

5. valium
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Hiya! I simply would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice data you could have here on this post. I shall be coming back to your weblog for more soon.

6. buy insurance quote
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Great info I continually look for smart articles with good analysis. does one a blog I might link to? http://www.okinsurancequote.com

7. sleep aids
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 8:53 am | Permalink

An fascinating discussion is value comment. I think that it is best to write more on this matter, it might not be a taboo subject however typically persons are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

8. Tegretol cod
    Posted March 7, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game.

9. Amery
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:33 am | Permalink

After study several of the content on your site these week, and I definitely like your personal style of running a blog. I saved as a favorite it to my favorite features web site list and will be looking at back again shortly.

10. karen millen dresses sale
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

These radios are called extremely range because that they operate
    on top-notch frequency. Shower for spring weather condition can be frustrating.
    Wel be granting away great accolades throughout the two-day event.
    The girl’s love of using dress up, planted as she engaged in. karen millen dresses sale.

11. Enid
    Posted July 26, 2013 at 4:44 am | Permalink

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found
    this board and I to find It really helpful & it helped
    me out much. I’m hoping to give one thing again and aid others like you aided me.