Teen rape victim won’t go to jail for naming who assaulted her

If you read The Courier-Journal this weekend, you were no doubt infuriated by the chance that 17-yea-old rape victim Savannah Dietrich of Louisville might go to jail for naming the two high school students who sexually assaulted her. Frustrated with their plea agreement, which she saw as a slap on the wrist, Dietrich tweeted their names, and dared the court to have the nerve to hold her in contempt:

“There you go, lock me up,” Savannah Dietrich tweeted, as she named the boys she said sexually assaulted her. “I’m not protecting anyone that made my life a living Hell.”

After the lawyer of the two young men filed a motion to hold her in contempt, she told the C-J:

“I’m at the point, that if I have to go to jail for my rights, I will do it,” she said. “If they really feel it’s necessary to throw me in jail for talking about what happened to me … as opposed to throwing these boys in jail for what they did to me, then I don’t understand justice.”

And fortunately, there was a small degree of justice today, as the lawyer, David Mejia, withdrew the contempt motion.

However, Mejia wasn’t done insulting the teenage victim. From today’s C-J story:

Mejia was obviously angry with Dietrich’s actions, saying his client’s “privacy has been trampled. He’s accused of things he didn’t do. Anybody who looks at (the postings online) believes things about this kid that are false, but there is nothing I can do about that.”

*****

“I can’t stop this teen and she put it out there,” he said. “She put everybody’s names out there. … We went to court hoping she would come to her senses” after the tweets, adding the laws of confidentiality in juvenile court were written to protect the victim but “apparently she didn’t want to be protected.”

Yes… how dare this girl not “want to be protected” and not “come to her senses” enough to not “trample” on the “privacy” of the boys who pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting her.

The nerve of her… violating the privacy of two young men who widely distributed photos of them sexually assaulting her.

Take a bow for that wonderful piece of legal logic, David Mejia.

1. Manne
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Thank God this worked out justly in the way it did. Thank God. Good for this courageous young woman.

2. Ash
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

At least one small piece of justice was served and that Savannah won’t have to suffer anymore for what those rapists did to her. I only wish that those two boys would have gotten more severe punishments and their lawyer should be ashamed about what he said. These boys plead guilty and therefore I believe they shouldn’t be able to get away without it being public knowledge about who they are and what they’ve done. This young woman has shown an incredible amount of courage to stand up for her rights and to let everyone know who these boys were and what they’d done. They commited a crime and in my opinion, they’ve lost their right to privacy. I don’t see how preventing Savannah from telling people who raped her if she wants to make it public knowledge is ‘for her protection.’ It’s her right to talk about this, Freedom of Speech, a basic human right that we fought a war to get. She’s protected by the Constitution of our country and the judge, the defense attorney, or the boys who raped her have no right to try to silence her. Stay strong Savannah!

3. carrie
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Way to stand up for yourself and other victims Savannah! Your parents obviously raised you to be tough and I commend them for letting you go public. So many people are really rooting for you. Be proud!

4. kilowat
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

if it had been my daughters heaven help them…….

5. ahsiladraw
    Posted July 23, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

What a brave young woman to endure such suffering.

6. Katrina
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 7:01 am | Permalink

way to go Savannah! this was a terrible thing that has been done to you. the court system failed you by letting those boys do a plea bargain. they should be put on the National Sex offenders list. Congrats on your ‘victory’ and i believe you would be a good spokesperson for young ladies out there about the dangers of date rape. best wishes for your future.

7. john
    Posted July 24, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Then rapists are Austin Zehnder and Will Frey. And the only difference between their lawyer and a bucket of manure is the bucket.

8. グッチ バッグ マラケシュ
    Posted December 14, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

グッチ バッグ マラケシュ I do not even understand how
    I stopped up right here, however I thought this post used to be great.
    I do not recognise who you’re but definitely you are going to a famous blogger
    in the event you are not already. Cheers! グッチ 財布 店