Yarmuth slams McConnell’s ‘dishonest’ and ‘irresponsible’ email touting gun control fearmongering

On a conference call following the swearing in of President Barack Obama for his second term, Rep. John Yarmuth told LEO Weekly that he was “incredulous” at the email sent out last night by the campaign of Sen. Mitch McConnell, which warned readers that Obama was about to confiscate their guns.

Yarmuth’s comments are below:

“I didn’t think it was possible for Sen. McConnell to set a lower bar on honesty, but he did it with that email. He’s stoking totally irrational and unjustifiable fear, clearly for political purposes.

He’s misleading the people he sends that to, because what he’s saying is absolutely dishonest. And it can also be dangerous, because people get that email who may not have been following the debate, and they all of a sudden get anxious and who knows what can happen from that kind of provocation.

One of the things that’s fascinating to me is he talked about the executive actions and invoked Rand Paul’s line about a “King.” The gun lobby themselves, their lawyers have looked at those executive actions and said “we tried to find one that we could challenge, but every one of them is clearly in the president’s law enforcement authority.” And that’s coming from the gun lobby. So for him to mention that is just outrageous and potentially dangerous.”

On Saturday in Frankfort, around 400 people showed up at a “gun appreciation day” rally, where speakers voiced conspiracy theories about Obama ordering law enforcement to raid homes and businesses to confiscate their weapons, forthcoming Martial law and the United Nations, adding a liberal amount of comparisons of Obama to Hitler, Stalin and genocidal dictators.

Yarmuth says that McConnell’s words only fan the flames of such paranoid delusions:

Absolutely. This to me is pretty much as low as you can go in terms of being irresponsible as a public official. He knows that’s not true, he’s making it up, and he’s using it for his own political benefit. And then in the same letter he actually accuses the administration of exploiting something for political purposes. What does he think he’s doing with that email? I was incredulous when I saw it.

Yarmuth added in response to an earlier question that McConnell did not appear to be a happy camper at the inauguration ceremony.

“I had a direct view of Mitch and he did not appear to be enjoying himself,” said Yarmuth. “I don’t think I saw him applaud one time.”

1. Charlie
    Posted January 21, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

“Marshall Law”? Please tell me that’s from the protesters and not you. If from protesters it deserves a “sic”. If from you it deserves an editor.

2. Charlie
    Posted January 21, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Good catch…

3. Linda
    Posted January 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

mitchie mouse mcCONnel said he was not going to attend today. I saw pictures of him there, the big fat a$$ed liar. It looked like there was hate oozing from every pore of his sickening, bottom sucking, yellow spineless, greedy, lying being. I don’t like the man one bit if you can’t tell. I would run against him if no one else would and if I had the backing and $. However, I have another solution to defeat mitchie mouse mcCONnel in 2014. I have a friend who is a dem but registered as a repub so he could vote against him in the primary. He has voted against mitchie mouse every time but it didn’t work then, maybe it would now. I think more of us need to do that in the Commonwealth just to get his fat head out of DC and maybe he’ll even leave the Commonwealth. Pass this on to your friends, I’m going to do it. It will kill me to do it but I am just so I can vote against him before he can even run. As soon as his sloppy eared bun is out of there, I’ll switch back to my beloved party.

4. Curtis Morrison
    Posted January 21, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Anyone have audio of the robocall- I’d be very grateful! curtis@progresskentucky.com

5. Kathy
    Posted January 21, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Very irresponsible of him. He’s losing his grip on the seat he now holds so he’s vying for some media exposure in all the wrong way – sad and dangerous.

6. karaman
    Posted January 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

karaman

7. Jason
    Posted January 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

I love this response. It, like EVERY pro-gun control statement, doesn’t defend their stance with facts but rather emotion. Show me that the things the pro-gun “nuts” are saying aren’t true, that my constitutional rights will not be trampled on now or that this isn’t leading to them being raped in the future and back your statements up with facts and leave emotions out of it.

8. Lou
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 1:49 am | Permalink

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an
    established blog. Is it very difficult to set up your own blog?
    I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Many thanks

One Trackback

1. [...] GA_googleFillSlot("FatLip-LeoBlog-Leaderboard"); GA_googleFillSlot("FatLip-LeoBlog-FullBanner"); « Rich block, safe block ≠ poor block, not-so-safe block Yarmuth slams McConnell’s ‘dishonest’ and ‘irresponsible’ email toutin… [...]