Alison Lundergan Grimes’ website reveals Blue Dog policy agenda

Alison Lundergan Grimes’ campaign website unveiled its “issues” page today, which quite a few liberal Kentuckians might, in fact, take issue with.

The page lead off with energy, and to the surprise of few, it is all about taking on Obama’s so-called “War on Coal”:

“I strongly oppose President Obama’s attack on Kentucky’s energy industry. This Administration has taken direct aim at Kentucky’s coal industry, crippling our state’s largest source of domestic energy and threatening thousands of jobs. Washington Democrats and Republicans need to be realistic about what powers our nation and recognize that developing Kentucky’s supplies of coal is crucial.”

In the world of reality, it’s actually the plummeting price of natural gas and the free market that’s doing the heavy lifting on the coal industry’s decline. But hey, we’re dealing with Kentucky Democrats here, so to them I say…

Many Kentucky liberals were expecting this from Grimes on coal, but hoping they’d be able to hold their nose on this issue while continuing to proudly support Grimes because she’ll have a liberal stance on most other issues. While Grimes comes out against the Paul Ryan Medicare plan and privatization schemes for this and Social Security, the next section, “cutting spending,” will raise some eyebrows:

“I believe that there is a responsible path to balancing the budget. We need to start by going line-by-line through the budget to cut waste, fraud and abuse and we must ensure that tax dollars are being used smartly and efficiently. Nearly 680 renewable energy initiatives across 23 federal agencies and their 130 sub-agencies costing taxpayers $15 billion is certainly not an efficient use of taxpayer dollars. [7] I also believe that we can make our Medicare and Medicaid programs more efficient without slashing coverage. Medicare spending is unsustainable. But rather than pushing for privatization, or vouchers, or shifting costs to seniors – supported by Mitch McConnell – we should be looking for ways to spend smarter on our entire health care system. And to ensure our country never goes into debt again, I will fight in the U.S. Senate to pass a balanced budget amendment.

A balanced budget amendment remains possibly — as Ezra Klein called it — “the worst idea in Washington.” Or, as Reagan economic adviser Bruce Bartlett called it, “quite possibly the stupidest constitutional amendment I think I have ever seen. It looks like it was drafted by a couple of interns on the back of a napkin.” It all sounds so lovely — and maybe Grimes will come up with one of those half-baked, Blue Dog Democrat alternative “balanced budget amendments” that isn’t as bad but still makes zero sense — but it’s simply horrible policy. Maybe Grimes will fill us in on where the massive cuts in the federal budget will come from in order to balance the budget this quickly, or maybe she’ll just go the whole nine yards and endorse cut, cap and balance. Or maybe it’s just a campaign platitude that sounds good to conservative Democrats and means absolutely nothing.

As for the liberal policy stances on this page… well, there aren’t any that I can see. There’s no defense of any particular part of the Affordable Care Act, and no talk of regulating Wall Street. In fact, regulation is only mentioned in terms of eliminating it to create jobs. And opposing the privatization of Social Security and Medicare isn’t liberal… that’s completely mainstream common sense.

I’m sure Grimes will espouse some liberal positions during the campaign — she’s already come out for the Violence Against Women Act and equal pay protections, though those are also very mainstream — but what we’re seeing here is the very public attempt to separate herself from President Obama and position herself in Kentucky’s political center. Highlighting plans like a balanced budget amendment and vilifying regulation may accomplish this in theory, unless 1) conservative voters don’t buy it and are convinced by the millions of dollars worth of TV ads attacking her as a commie/Obama liberal, and 2) enough Kentucky liberals totally check out from the race and sit at home next November and drag away thousands of potential votes in Louisville and Lexington to affect the outcome in a close race.

But I’d guess that most liberals will be completely disgusted by this, yet vote for Grimes anyway because of three words: Addison Mitchell McConnell. Only time will tell…

1. Paul Evans
    Posted July 25, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Disgusted is right. I’ve always said most Dems in Kentucky are Republican-lite. She’s just another example of that. Still better than Miss McConnell, but not by a lot.

2. merlin1963
    Posted July 25, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

It is what I expected from her, especially given her connections and friends like Bill Clinton. If there is an alternative in the primary, which I seriously doubt, I will vote for that person over Grimes. But you are correct when it comes to the General Election. I will hold my nose and vote for Grimes if the choice is Grimes versus McConnell.

3. sayheykid
    Posted July 26, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Ashley is looking better than ever. At least she would go down in a blaze of glory speaking her mind and shaking up the old guard.

4. merlin1963
    Posted July 27, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Question for you Joe: Is there anyone else running in the Democratic Primary? I thought an environmental lawyer from Louisville was considering a run?

5. Greg Leichty
    Posted August 1, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

There are alternatives. I am one of them. My blog explaining why the Balanced Budget Amendment is a dishonest gimmick can be found at the top.

6. Edgardo
    Posted August 7, 2013 at 7:46 am | Permalink

That’s an awesome webpage, thank you so much in this. I’d personally in order to search engines with regard to a number of time to discover that position.

My partner and i dislike whenever each time My partner and i google and yahoo intended
    for reports for you to undergo My spouse and i always track down unproductive
    content articles and much unsolicited mail.
    Anyone evidently decide on treatment for the many spam along with preserve your site cleaning and also high quality.
    Will you have got suggestions for my very own weblog?

7. Michell
    Posted August 21, 2013 at 4:19 am | Permalink

It’s the best time to make a few plans for the longer term and it’s time to
    be happy. I have read this submit and if I may I wish to suggest you
    few interesting issues or tips. Perhaps you could
    write subsequent articles referring to this article.
    I wish to learn more things about it!

8. Craig Tantum
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I don’t think this would pose any problem for me. I think that if you have dog harnesses that are good for the inside too, you can control your dog if he is too big for the type of furniture that you have in your rooms.

9. サングラス レイバン 人気
    Posted July 13, 2014 at 1:19 am | Permalink

このファッションスパイ サングラスから製品測定 59 16 124本当だスタイル完全ラップします。青、緑および明確なフレームを作る見て、洗いながら黒フレーム青白い顔色しない暗い顔色とよく働く。追加の紫外線をブロックすることも役立ちます放射線。いくつか特別なモデルがある計画男の子とのあなた女の子。どのような答えとしてこれを使用してビルディング ブロックあなたの選択のため。

10. Repudiand
    Posted August 18, 2014 at 3:53 am | Permalink

Blue Dog Policy agenda is fascinating, also you can check out http://www.arbortechsupply.com/ and see that the mechanisms used there are inspired from other ones used in a total different purpose. I know that this agenda is important but how much money it takes is also relevant.

5 Trackbacks

1. By my website on September 30, 2014 at 5:51 am

my website

Alison Lundergan Grimes’ website reveals Blue Dog policy agenda – FatLip

2. By i loved this on October 2, 2014 at 10:38 pm

i loved this

Alison Lundergan Grimes’ website reveals Blue Dog policy agenda – FatLip

3. By ffonline.ru on October 15, 2014 at 9:27 am

ffonline.ru

Alison Lundergan Grimes’ website reveals Blue Dog policy agenda – FatLip

4. By just click here for a good resource on October 16, 2014 at 2:13 am

just click here for a good resource

Alison Lundergan Grimes’ website reveals Blue Dog policy agenda – FatLip

5. By McConnell Grimes Close on November 1, 2014 at 11:55 pm

[…] Anyway, the headline on Sonka’s story in LEO (he has since switched to Insider Louisville) proclaimed “Alison Lundergan Grimes’ website reveals Blue Dog policy agenda.” […]